Wednesday, August 5, 2026

You even have to order on your smartphone... 😅


(A shot of a restaurant I visited in Assisi)

I went out shopping late one evening two weeks ago. I found myself craving a Saizeriya Margherita pizza and thought it would be nice to eat out for a change, so I decided to visit the restaurant for the first time in a while.

Two years ago, I was surprised by their very "analog" ordering method: you had to write the item number on a slip and hand it to a staff member. 😅 Looking back, perhaps they had adopted that system as a measure against COVID-19.

However, I was surprised all over again to find that the system had switched to ordering via smartphone. It felt as if things had suddenly leaped forward in time. 😅 You scan a QR code on the table with your smartphone, place your order on the screen, and pay.

I wondered if people who still use flip phones or don't own a smartphone were unable to use the service. It seemed like they were targeting younger customers. Later, though, I learned that there was a call button on the table and that you could also place an order verbally with a staff member.

Speaking of Saizeriya, it reminds me of the Italian classes I took at music college seven years ago. Italian was a mandatory subject for vocal majors in the first year and an elective in the second. Since I believed Italian was crucial for studying opera, I took the course during both the first and second semesters of my second year.

By the second semester of the second year, the class size had dropped to five students, so the teacher switched to a small-group format. One time, our Italian professor gave us a lengthy lecture on Italian cheeses, showing us photos from a book. After hearing all that talk about delicious food, my four younger classmates headed to Saizeriya, while I stopped by a different Italian restaurant on my way home. 😅

These days, I live more frugally than I used to, so I rarely eat out. I’m a creature of habit, though; whenever I go to Saizeriya, I always order the same things: Margherita pizza, chicken salad, and the drink bar. I'm really grateful that all of this costs just 950 yen. 😊


にほんブログ村 外国語ブログ 多言語学習者(学習中)へ
にほんブログ村
にほんブログ村 英語ブログ 英語の日記(英語のみ)へ
にほんブログ村     
多言語学習ランキング
多言語学習ランキング

No comments:

Post a Comment